Full Blown Rose can be viewed from Hwy. 29 at Mile Marker 36, located near Renfro Drive, Kelseyville. The red and white barn stores hay for Robert McIvor, a cattle rancher from the Bay Area. The 100 year old building was part of the original pioneer Harry Renfro Ranch. In 1950, Oscar and Theresa Holdenried, another Kelseyville pioneer family, bought the ranch from the Renfro family. In 1956 the Holdenrieds constructed a house using wood from the original Renfro home. In 1994, McIvor bought the ranch from the Holdenried estate. He is happy to be part of the Lake County Quilt Trail because his late wife enjoyed quilts and created a collection. McIvor has recently painted the barn all white and re-roofed in eye-catching red.
The Full Blown Rose quilt barn square was donated by Pamela and Gary Maes, M.D., in memory of Gary’s mother, Arline Rose Maes. The pattern and colors were selected to honor Arline’s middle name and her long love of roses. GPS location is: 38° 59’ 07” N, 122° 51’ 36”W. Directly across the highway at Hill Creek Ranch passersby can view Square in a Square which is the very first quilt barn in the Lake County Quilt Trail project started in 2010.